Two Door

Your warmth puts the morning hitting brown floorboards to shame

Because of these years we’ve basked together I’ll never be the same

I’m leaving this porch with the string lights still on and my jeans are covered in stains


I hope time doesn’t wash them out


I hope people ask me for the rest of my life where I got them


I’ll talk about the Hall that became Home and a white picket fence we got to see covered in real life snow

There’s always going to be wine on these jeans now


Holy laughter spilled out of this home like the cheap white wine on my lap when my cheeks were wet with joy and I couldn’t help but pour a little onto myself from the cup that was overflowing


There’s vodka sauce on my sweater most days

but I guess now I’ll always remember the ways

we made a little extra for dinner 

because one of us had a bad day

(you can just have some of mine!)


I think it’s cool that my jeans are worn out

Scuffed from what we ran from and towards and covered in dust from the roads we got a little lost on

They fit just right now

We walked a lot of miles together in them


I don’t want to buy new shoes


I’ll remember the little things forever I hope

I’ll write it all over my body if I have to

The coffee creamer that’s your favorite and the blanket you choose first every time and the way your face looks after a walk in the winter (beautiful and alive-looking)

The perfume you love (and hate) the way you record the hard and holy in your tiny notebook, and how you dad makes you feel (it’s complicated)


The things they are became who I am

We became our own Homes together at the same time (I think we built each other by remembering the same nails that won our salvation are really what holds us together)

The way the sun hits a mountain before it’s even risen reminds me of these days

We’ve seen gold on the peak and black midnight valleys all in a few years

But whether crawling or basking, we did it with each other (with each other)


The sun is rising now and the sky is a shade I’ve never seen before 

Time has been so generous to us (thank you Jesus thank you Jesus thank you Jesus)


I think I’ll always wish we had just a little more


Comments

Popular Posts